Instructions and Forms

Making a Complaint

The Board’s Role

The West Virginia Board of Medicine is the state agency charged with protecting the health and safety of the public through licensure, regulation and oversight of medical doctors (MDs), podiatric physicians (DPMs), and collaborating physician assistants.

The Board may only investigate matters related to a specific, individual MD, DPM or PA; it is not permitted, by law, to investigate clinics, health centers or hospitals. The Board has no jurisdiction over business disputes, general billing disputes, insurance coverage, personality conflicts, or employee / employer disputes.  Likewise, if you disagree with your provider’s recommended treatment for your medical condition, that does not necessarily mean a professional conduct violation has occurred.

During the pendency of an investigation, complaints regarding a licensee’s professional conduct are confidential. Complaint Committee meetings where pending complaints and investigations are discussed are confidential proceedings, and are not open to the public, the complainant or the respondent licensee.

The Board makes every effort to respond in a timely and appropriate fashion to address the incident and prevent future reoccurrence, through education, rehabilitation or discipline, as appropriate.

How to Make a Complaint or Report

Patient Complaints

  • Download and complete a Complaint Questionnaire Form
  • If you are unable to download the Complaint Questionnaire Form and would like a form mailed to you, please contact the Complaints Coordinator at (304) 558-2921 ext. 49867.

Third-Party Reports

  • Submit a written report which clearly identifies the practitioner and your concerns to:

West Virginia Board of Medicine
Attn: Complaints Coordinator
101 Dee Drive, Suite 103
Charleston, West Virginia 25311

Other Resources

The Board does not have the authority to prosecute crimes or to litigate medical malpractice disputes. If you believe that you have been the victim of a crime, please contact a local law enforcement agency.

To make a complaint against health care providers licensed by other boards, please follow the appropriate link below: